Bat Digest is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn More.
July 3, 2020 | by | @BatDigest
On the 22nd of March, we surveyed the country, measuring how much baseball and fastpitch are affected by the Covid-19.
How much baseball and fastpitch has been canceled due to the coronavirus?
So far, 28% of high school baseball and fastpitch seasons have been entirely canceled. All of the remaining 78% are postponed. Based on how things go over the next several weeks, we will know how that 78 % play out.
Competitive and Travel ball fares a bit better, but not by much. Currently, the cancellation rate of competitive and travel baseball sits at 19%. The remaining 81% of is postponed. We did have a few (< 1%), which said their comp seasons have yet to be affected.
Rec Ball is holding out best so far. 17% said it is a canceled season. 83% think there is still hope. Like competitive and travel ball, coronavirus has affected more than 99% of recreation baseball and fastpitch in the country.
It will be hard to keep these up to date. Most aren’t interested in taking surveys every day.
If your season does get canceled, please level a comment.
No matter how you slice it, this is sad times for the 28% of seniors who get no sendoff, no playoffs and no chance to finish out their high school career.
Let’s hope the remaining 70% have a chance and that the athletic department can find ways to modify the schedule such that it runs in line with what governments are asking us to do with social distancing and staying home.13 Best Practices to Play Safe Baseball During a Pandemic »