CEO of BatDigest.com
Brian Duryea is a dad, coach, and self-proclaimed bat aficionado who manages and owns batdigest.com. Since 2015 (and previously known as JustBatReviews.com), Brian writes reviews and commentary on bats in the baseball, fastpitch, and softball industry. Previous to managing this site, he earned a bachelor’s in economics from Brigham Young University and worked in financial and medical sales. He now manages this site full time and teaches public school secondary education in Davis County, Utah.
Bat Digest is best described as a very busy daddy blog. It began as a search for the right bat for my then 9-year-old son. We found two bats separated by a year from the same company that looked all but the same except for the $100 price difference. Wondering how two very similar looking bats could be so different in price, we bought both. After weighing and measuring the best we knew how then, we wrote our first review on the website: justbatreviews.blogspot.com.
Although our protocols and data capabilities have increased dramatically from that first review, our sentiments have not. We are obsessed with finding the truth about baseball and fastpitch bats.
How We Test Bats
Today, we have hit every bat reviewed on this site. Our bat evaluation process is performed by multiple hitters. It includes ball flight exit speeds, swing weights, barrel sizes, ball cannon testing and other metrics. Most of our data is captured via Rapsodo, HitTrax, Pocket Radar, and/or a ball cannon we had custom made for our site.
Bat companies are not allowed on-site when we test and captured bat data. We do, though, often spend time directly with the company or their salespeople getting the “pitch” on why they think this bat is good. But our reviews are our reviews, not theirs.
We do not accept cash payment to review bats. We never promise a good review for anything of value. However, we do accept bats in exchange for reviews, good or bad, on our site. The vast majority of bat companies send us their bats without reservation—knowing full well we will write exactly what we think. We intend to review every performance bat. But, bats that are sent to us for free get priority. Those we have to purchase, are usually relegated to the end of our review calendars.
Roughly 80% of the bats we review on this site are sent to us for free. The other 20% are bought at either discount from major vendors or the full price on any given bat outlet site. In most cases, we sell the bats we test, without a warranty on the used market.
Free bats make up less than 10% of the income we make from this site.
The bulk of the income generated from this site comes from affiliate marketing. Affiliate marketing is the process by which online vendors pay us a percentage of the sale when our readers click to their site from ours and end up purchasing. The reader’s price does not increase. Instead, vendors count those affiliate payments as part of their costs. Affiliate payout rates are usually between 4% and 10%.
There are at least two specific disclosures we are required to make to be a part of the affiliate program:
- As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
- As an eBay Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
As might be obvious by now, we also make money directly from ads on our site. These are placed here through Google’s massive ad network and are based, in part at least, by your web browsers history. We only control the placement of those ads, not the ads themselves. Those ads’ content is often determined by a tracking cookie left on your browser that Google reads when you access this site and delivers tailored ads.
We do NOT require you have cookies turned on or ads allowed to visit this site. But in no small measure, it is how the “free” content on this site gets paid for.
The best way to reach me is at email@example.com.
Bat Digest delivers reliable, consistent, and objective data-based opinions on baseball and fastpitch bats. With an extensive knowledge of bat and ball physics as well as the resources to gather objective bat performance data, we serve as a mooring post for consumers in the ever-changing perception of bat performance.
Just Bat Reviews, LLC Affiliate Marketing Disclosure
Disclosure: Justbatreviews.com is a professional review site that often receives compensation from the companies that sell the products of the products we review. We test each product thoroughly and give high marks to only the very best. We are independently owned and the opinions expressed here are our own. This includes, but is not limited to, companies like Amazon, eBay and Baseball Express.
By accessing the website at https://batdigest.com, you are agreeing to be bound by these terms of service, all applicable laws and regulations, and agree that you are responsible for compliance with any applicable local laws. If you do not agree with any of these terms, you are prohibited from using or accessing this site. The materials contained in this website are protected by applicable copyright and trademark law.
2. Use License
- Permission is granted to temporarily download one copy of the materials (information or software) on Just Bat Reviews, LLC’s website for personal, non-commercial transitory viewing only. This is the grant of a license, not a transfer of title, and under this license you may not:
- modify or copy the materials;
- use the materials for any commercial purpose, or for any public display (commercial or non-commercial);
- attempt to decompile or reverse engineer any software contained on Just Bat Reviews, LLC’s website;
- remove any copyright or other proprietary notations from the materials; or
- transfer the materials to another person or “mirror” the materials on any other server.
- This license shall automatically terminate if you violate any of these restrictions and may be terminated by Just Bat Reviews, LLC at any time. Upon terminating your viewing of these materials or upon the termination of this license, you must destroy any downloaded materials in your possession whether in electronic or printed format.
- The materials on Just Bat Reviews, LLC’s website are provided on an ‘as is’ basis. Just Bat Reviews, LLC makes no warranties, expressed or implied, and hereby disclaims and negates all other warranties including, without limitation, implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of intellectual property or other violation of rights.
- Further, Just Bat Reviews, LLC does not warrant or make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results, or reliability of the use of the materials on its website or otherwise relating to such materials or on any sites linked to this site.
In no event shall Just Bat Reviews, LLC or its suppliers be liable for any damages (including, without limitation, damages for loss of data or profit, or due to business interruption) arising out of the use or inability to use the materials on Just Bat Reviews, LLC’s website, even if Just Bat Reviews, LLC or a Just Bat Reviews, LLC authorized representative has been notified orally or in writing of the possibility of such damage. Because some jurisdictions do not allow limitations on implied warranties, or limitations of liability for consequential or incidental damages, these limitations may not apply to you.
5. Accuracy of materials
The materials appearing on Just Bat Reviews, LLC’s website could include technical, typographical, or photographic errors. Just Bat Reviews, LLC does not warrant that any of the materials on its website are accurate, complete or current. Just Bat Reviews, LLC may make changes to the materials contained on its website at any time without notice. However Just Bat Reviews, LLC does not make any commitment to update the materials.
Just Bat Reviews, LLC has not reviewed all of the sites linked to its website and is not responsible for the contents of any such linked site. The inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by Just Bat Reviews, LLC of the site. Use of any such linked website is at the user’s own risk.
Just Bat Reviews, LLC may revise these terms of service for its website at any time without notice. By using this website you are agreeing to be bound by the then current version of these terms of service.
8. Governing Law
These terms and conditions are governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Utah and you irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts in that State or location.
Your privacy is important to us.
- We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
- Before or at the time of collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
- We will collect and use personal information solely for fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other ancillary purposes, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law.
- Personal data should be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
- We will protect personal information by using reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
- We will make readily available to customers information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
- We will only retain personal information for as long as necessary for the fulfilment of those purposes.